Wednesday 25 June 2008

ISOLATION

I sometimes find working on my own quite un-inspring, my studio was previously quite accessible but following the addition to our household I now work in a semi-converted loft space. Therefore feedback on the progress of tracks as I'm working hardly ever happens. Sometimes it would be 'oh I don't like that sound' or 'that sounds weird' would often mean I would re-evaluate the track and often improve it.

I think the songs definitely reflect the mood of the environment and I actually quite like that, I think this album will have a darker feel which is something we both discussed and agreed upon at the start of writing.

Sarah generally trusts my judgement regarding the production and I have previously left her to write about subjects that are personal to her. There has been some reversal of roles recently as with one of the tracks I felt the vocals weren't working, I offered to write some lyrics as there was a subject I really wanted to get off my chest, I thought this would be the easier option rather than getting Sarah to write something different to an existing idea, not sure it went down that well though. I have never written a complete song so we'll see what happens.

Matt

7 comments:

SarahNK said...

...OK Culpin, the gloves are off. Put your money where your mouth is.

SHOW ME THE LYRICS!!!

Northern Kind said...

I wish I could fly right up to the Sky but I can't
- sarah (you can)
- matt (I can't)
- sarah (you can)

I wish I could see what folks see in me but I can’t
- sarah (you can)
- matt (I can't)
- sarah (you can)

I wish that I had a daddy but I don’t,
- sarah (You don’t?)
- matt (I don’t!)
- sarah (oh no you don’t)

I often pretend my sadness will end but it won’t,
- sarah (It will)
- matt (it won’t)
- sarah (actually you're right it won't)

The other folks laugh and say that I’m daft and I am,
- sarah (You’re not!)
- matt (I am!)

They tease me a lot and call me a clot and I am,
- sarah (You’re not!)
- matt (I am!)
- sarah (You’re not!)

IN THE BAG!

Words, music, production and just about everything else MATT CULPIN

wout said...

so Sarah is still part of NK? ;-)

SarahNK said...

yeah. But you don't look as good as me in a skirt.

Northern Kind said...

The two people that emailed me to say what a sad a beautiful song... I'm sorry to say they are actually the lyrics from Keith Harris & Orville - "I wish I could fly", how misunderstood they were!

Matt

wout said...

"Learning to Fly" by Pink Floyd is a much better song about flying, as is "Dreams" by Van Halen.

Sarah does look better in a skirt as I've only worn a skirt once and didn't shave my legs - sorry no pictures exist!

Northern Kind said...

I may well wear a kilt for Retrofest.

BTW - Flights are pretty cheap to Glasgow, we are going for the whole weekend so it would be good to get loads of people going to see the NK massiv'